Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ngi Ne Themba

Ngi ne themba.

What does that mean, you ask?

It's an isiZulu chant and it translates to "I have hope."

Why am I speaking African?
Any Hanson fan can answer that.
It's a chant that a children's choir from DD Dilwayo school is Soweto, South Africa sang on Hanson's song "Great Divide".

I just finished probably one of the most inspiring books ever written, at least in 2008.
The book wasn't written by some professor at some expensive university, and it wasn't written by a former politician either.
It was written by a guy in a band.

Now, it's one thing to accompany this band on one of their mile long walks and whether you walk barefoot or not, it's still an unbelievable feeling to know that that one mile you're walking, in a city you've probably been to countless times before, is a mile that's going to change a child's life forever.
It's one thing to buy a pair of shoes, and by doing so give a pair of shoes to a child in poverty.
It's one thing to donate $25 to a school, so that those children can still get an education.
It's another thing to read the stories of your favourite band's trip to Africa, and hear all the stories of the people they encountered along their journey.

When I became a Hanson fan 11 years ago, I never thought about the outside world and the hardships anyone faced.
I danced to "MMMBop" and "Where's The Love", still played with my Barbies, and adjusted to middle school life.
I was picked on immensely because I liked a band of these guys with long hair, 2 of which looked like girls.
I didn't care.
I liked the music. I liked the fact they were ordinary kids. And the fact that Zac was a cutie wasn't so bad either!

Throughout the 11 years, people have always belittled these guys.
I still hear the jokes.
I mention that I'm a Hanson fan and people roll their eyes or start singing a badly mangled version of the chorus of "MMMBop" (which I secretly laugh at them for doing!).
But I'm used to it. It rolls off my back now.

What I don't like is when I'm trying to tell someone about Hanson's charity efforts and the Take The Walk book and they still roll their eyes.
Roll your eyes at the music, fine.
But don't roll your eyes at African children living with a horrible disease that has already claimed their parents, friends, cousins, neighbours............

I'm a Girl Guide leader. I look at my Guides, see how carefree they are. They have no major issues in their lives. And if they have any issues, they can usually be solved with a phone call.
But to know that there are children in Africa that are the same age as my Guides, living with and dying from a horrible disease is sometimes hard to swallow.

When I do put on my own Walk in the spring, I'm going to try my hardest to get it in the paper and on local news. I want as many people as possible to know about the Walk and turn up. I want the kids in Africa to have a better life.

A lot of people out there may think that all Hanson's doing is just a publicity stunt. A way for a '90s band to get some media attention again.
They may think that Hanson fans are only donating and walking because Hanson told us to. As if we can't do anything on our own without celebrities telling us what to do or think or feel.

But you know what?
That's okay.
Let people think that.
It's not true.
I didn't have to go on the Walk in Vancouver, or buy TOMS, or buy and read the Take The Walk book.
But I did.
Yes, so I wouldn't have done any of this stuff without Hanson taking the first step and opening my eyes, but I didn't do it just because they did.

This is so much bigger then a band anyway. It goes way beyond Hanson. Strip the music away....it's about helping people that need it the most.

I want the world to be a better place for future generations. Not just here and in Africa, but across the globe.

Isaac, Taylor and Zac Hanson use what they have to help: music.
But what do I have?
A group of friends, a unit of Guides, and an ability to write.
I thought I could do a Walk with Girl Guides, but due to new rules, that was quickly ruled out. (BOOOOOOO to National!)
That leaves me with my friends and writing skills.
I can blab 'till I turn blue to my friends all about this cause until they follow my lead and join in. I've done this....it seems to work, at least a little.
Now...the writing part.....
I think I'm going to have to talk to the local newspapers.
I think I will.

While reading the TTW book, I listened to the TTW EP that comes with all the copies of the book. Every time the song "Lay Me Down" came on I started to get choked up. The words on the page and the words that Isaac was singing combined to make me feel something that most books and songs cannot. I don't cry during songs, not really something I can do. I don't know why, but music, movies, books, etc. just doesn't make me cry. "Lay Me Down" doesn't make me burst into full on tears, but I get a lump in my throat and my eyes get the "I'm going to cry" feeling.

I've been moved.

Moved to action.

Will you join me?

Quote from the Take The Walk book:
"If hope were a person it would be a child. No matter the tragedy, circumstance or misfortune, it's true nature always seems to find a way."

No comments:

Followers